Internship Programme at Airbnb
Airbnb is calling for entries for its two-day skills training programme called the Airbnb Africa Academy. The training is free of charge for those that get accepted, but act fast – entries are open for a limited period only and there are only a handful of slots available.
About the Airbnb Africa Academy
The Airbnb Africa Academy aims to level the playing field by training potential hosts and co-hosts from rural and under-resourced communities across South Africa who are interested in becoming involved in the tourism economy. The two-day programme is designed for local participants who are passionate about sharing their homes and their communities with travellers from around the world, but who may still lack some tech skills. Those who get in to the programme will learn the basic computer and accounting skills needed to successfully create a listing on the home sharing platform.
The Airbnb Africa Academy will take place over two days in both Cape Town and Gauteng during July. It will be hosted in partnership with Open Africa, a social enterprise that works with small businesses that offer travellers authentic experiences, while generating income and jobs for local people. This aligns with Airbnb’s mission of helping to spread the benefits of travel outside the big cities and typical tourist hotspots.
“Technology can be a powerful driver of change, especially in underserved communities. Airbnb wants to harness this power by upskilling residents who then become tourism micro-entrepreneurs,” says Velma Corcoran, Country Manager for Airbnb in South Africa.
The training program will be focused on hospitality and technology for emerging entrepreneurs, organisations and individuals from townships and rural areas. Participants will walk away with knowledge on how to set themselves up for a successful journey with Airbnb.
- Support with the implementation of the Airbnb Africa Academy
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating the success of the Airbnb Africa Academy and identifying interventions to support the participants based on the results of the evaluation
- Provide support to participants of the Academy after they have completed their training
- Provide logistical support for both the Airbnb Africa Academy and the Africa Travel Summit
- Support the work of the Community team including organizing host meetups
- Ad hoc support to the team based on upcoming priorities
- Tertiary education. Bachelors degree, diploma or higher in a relevant field of study
- Fluent in English & either Xhosa, Zulu or Sotho
- First-rate project management skills & highly organised.
- Advanced Excel skills including pivot tables, graphing and general advanced functions which will enable you to work in salesforce, prepare and interpret regular reports.
- You have a can-do attitude, a hands-on approach, getting things done fast
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity
- Ability to communicate quickly, effectively and accurately to various audiences
- You are strategic and analytical in your thinking
- You are able to work in a cross-functional environment
- Passion for Airbnb and the sharing economy. Being a host on Airbnb is a strong plus
How to apply